Two pink lines appear and your world feels like it will never be the same again. While a positive pregnancy test for some can bring tears of joy, others may feel overwhelmed by anxiety, fear, and endless “what if” scenarios.
If you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy, you have options, and we are here to help you learn as much as you can about each choice so that you can make an informed and empowered decision!
What is the abortion pill?
The abortion pill, also known as a medical abortion, is a two-pill process of ending a pregnancy. The process is only effective in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy, so it’s essential you know how far along you are.
How does the abortion pill work?
The abortion pill uses two drugs, Mifepristone, and Misoprostol. Mifepristone is administered to prevent the body from producing the hormone progesterone, which is vital to the health of the growing pregnancy. Without progesterone, the pregnancy will end. In order to expel the pregnancy from the uterus, Misoprostol is used. This second pill causes contractions and forces the pregnancy (fetus) from the body.
What will a medical abortion be like?
Unlike surgical abortion, medical abortions are typically completed at home. Women will likely experience intense cramping and heavy bleeding with blood clots as the body expels the pregnancy (fetus).
Additional abortion pill side effects include:
- Fever and chills
Are there any long-term risks associated with the abortion pill?
Yes, unfortunately, some women do experience severe health conditions as a result of taking the abortion pill. Before deciding if the abortion pill is right for you, we recommend educating yourself on the potential severe risks, which may include:
- Heavy uterine bleeding and hemorrhaging
- Infections and sepsis
- Mental and emotional trauma as a result of the abortion experience1
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is caused by the abortion pill in patients with a Chlamydia infection
How do I know if abortion is right for me?
Not sure if the abortion pill is right for you? The staff at Pregnancy Options Miami is here to help you make a pregnancy decision you feel confident in! That’s why we provide all of our services on a no-fee basis.
Our free services include:
- Medical-grade pregnancy testing
- Ultrasound scans to anyone who has received a positive pregnancy test at our center
- Options information session from one of our qualified Care Coordinators
- Abortion education
- Adoption Education
- Prenatal and parenting classes
- Abortion recovery
Schedule a Free Appointment
Are you ready to make an empowered choice for your pregnancy? Schedule your appointment today!
- Broen AN, Moum T, Bødtker AS, Ekeberg O. The course of mental health after miscarriage and induced abortion: a longitudinal, fiveyear follow-up study. BMC Med. 2005;3:18.
- Westergaard L, Phillipsen T, Scheibel J (1982). “Significance of cervical Chlamydia trachomatis infection in postabortal pelvic inflammatory disease.” Obstetrics and Gynecology, 68(5): 668-90; Ovigstad E, et al. (1983). “Pelvic inflammatory disease associated with Chlamydia trachomatis infection after therapeutic abortion.” Br J Vener Dis, 59: 189-92; Heisterberg L, et al. (1987). “The role of vaginal secretory immunoglobulin a, gardnerella vaginalis, anaerobes, and Chlamydia trachomatis in post abortal pelvic inflammatory disease.” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 66(2): 99-102.